During these periods of high heat, Western Growers can never remind our members enough about the need to protect their workers from the devastating effects of heat exposure. Please remember these key points of compliance with the Heat Illness Prevention Standard:
- Water -- 1 quart per worker per hour, with a plan for replenishment throughout the work shift;
- Shade -- enough for 25% of the crew working at the location; use of natural shade is acceptable if no shadow is cast; air-conditioned vehicles are acceptable; provided at all times when temperature exceeds 85 degrees;
- Rest -- allow workers to rest in shade if they feel the need for no less than 5 minutes;
- Training -- workers & supervisors must be trained about heat illness and emergency response procedures before being exposed to heat;
- High-Heat Procedures -- ensure effective communications in case of emergency; observe employees carefully for signs of heat illness; remind employees to drink water throughout the shift; closely supervise un-acclimatized employees for first 14 days of exposure to high heat.
Western Growers members are reminded that Western Growers Insurance Services (WGIS) provides heat illness prevention training through its safety specialists. WGIS offers training classes for free for workers’ comp customers and at a very competitive hourly rate for non-customers. These trainings can be conducted at the employer’s workplace. If you’d like to discuss training through WGIS, contact Greg Nelson, AVP of Commercial Lines.
Start Growing Today
Farming has never been more challenging, which is why Western Growers invests in fully committed advocates – your advocates – in Sacramento, Phoenix, and Washington, D.C. Only Western Growers offers members so many business services, supported by more than 400 dedicated employees.