Western Growers (WG) continues to support the ongoing improvement, enhancement and strengthening of food safety in the production of leafy greens. WG has established a yearly amendment process to review and update the food safety guidance documents (LGMA metrics) utilized by the Leafy Green Marketing Agreements (LGMAs) in California and Arizona. This year’s review process started on March 20, 2015. The deadline for receiving comments is April 24.
WG will be gathering proposed changes to seven of the 15 issues included in the LGMA metrics. Proposed changes received during this comment period and vetted through this process will be presented to the Arizona and California LGMAs during this summer, likely in July.
Interested parties can participate in this process, but should keep in mind that proposed changes should be:
- Comprehensive and auditable by government auditors (if they impact the audit checklist);
- Accompanied by a statement on how proposed changes will advance or enhance food safety, and;
- Clear and have a straightforward scientific basis or rationale including citations of relevant research if available
Below is a list of the current issues under review:
- Purpose (Issue 1)
- Environmental Assessments (Issue 3)
- Water (Issue 4)
- Water Usage to Prevent Product Dehydration (Issue 5)
- Flooding (Issue 12)
- Production Locations – Climatic Conditions and Environments (Issue 13)
- Production Locations – Encroachment by Animals and Urban Settings (Issue 14)
Start Growing Today
Farming has never been more challenging, which is why Western Growers invests in fully committed advocates – your advocates – in Sacramento, Phoenix, and Washington, D.C. Only Western Growers offers members so many business services, supported by more than 400 dedicated employees.