Today, House Democrats introduced The Heroes Act, the latest COVID-19 relief package worth more than $3 trillion. The House Rules Committee is scheduled to consider the bill on Thursday, with a full House vote expected on Friday.
According to Senate Finance Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), the Senate is not expected to take up their version of a bill for two or three weeks because they want to see if the previous aid packages are working.
Among its many provisions, The Heroes Act would provide the following:
- $1 TRILLION: For state, local, territorial and tribal governments to pay vital workers like first responders, health workers, and teachers
- $200 BILLION: To ensure that essential workers receive hazard pay
- ADDITIONAL DIRECT PAYMENTS: Payments of $1,200 per family member, up to $6,000 per household
- EMPLOYEE RETENTION TAX CREDIT: Enhances the new employee retention tax credit that encourages employers to keep employees on payroll
- INFECTION CONTROL PLANS: Requires OSHA to issue a strong, enforceable standard within seven days to require all workplaces to develop and implement infection control plans
- SMALL BUSINESS LOANS: Strengthens the Paycheck Protection Program and Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program
- SNAP: Provides 15% increase to the maximum SNAP benefit and additional funding for nutrition programs
- $10 BILLION for SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)
- $3 BILLION for school meal providers and USDA’s Child and Adult Care Food Program
- $1.1 BILLION for WIC (Women Infants and Children)
- $150 MILLION for TEFAP (The Emergency Food Assistance Program) to help local food banks
Click here to access the text of The Heroes Act (H.R. 6800).
Click here to access a one pager on the legislation.
Click here to access a section-by-section summary.
Be on the lookout for a more detailed analysis of the provisions most relevant to WG members and the fresh produce industry.
Start Growing Today
Farming has never been more challenging, which is why Western Growers invests in fully committed advocates – your advocates – in Sacramento, Phoenix, and Washington, D.C. Only Western Growers offers members so many business services, supported by more than 400 dedicated employees.