Learn how innovators are melding different pieces of automation technology together to help agriculture prepare for the future, during the Fourth Annual Open Farm Event on October 23. Open Farm is an annual gathering that brings together the software and farming communities to collaborate on the adoption of new technologies across the food supply chain and to promote a digital transformation within agriculture. There is still a lack of technology standards in agriculture to reduce the cost of adoption while addressing practical needs, so a community event where best practices can be shared is needed more now than ever.
Open Farm is a half-day event that will include the following activities:
- Field Demonstrations: demonstrations of remote irrigation based on time-of-use, optimization of solar return-on-investment and automated tractors using sensors to optimize energy-related assets
- Peer-Reviewed Presentations: presentations on the latest results using big data including fire modeling and prevention, automated irrigation and robotics
- Industry Panel: panel on the most pressing issues growers are facing on the farm and how technology can help solve those challenges, moderated by WG Center for Innovation & Technology Director Dennis Donohue
- Keynote Address: Mike Chrisman, current director of the Tulare Resource Conservation District and former California Secretary of Natural Resources, will provide a keynote on the future of farming in the Tulare basin with the new SGMA regulation coming to effect in January
The event is hosted by Southern California Edison in Tulare, in collaboration with CSU Fresno (BlueTech Valley), UC Agricultural and Natural Resources (The Vine), West Hills College Coalinga (Farm of the Future), Bowles Farming, PowWow Energy and Western Growers (Center for Innovation & Technology).
Fourth Annual Open Farm Event
Date: Wednesday, October 23, 2019
Time: 8:30 AM – 1:30 PM PDT
Location: SCE Energy Education Center (4175 S Laspina St., Tulare, CA 93274)
- Growers: Free
- Academia: Free
- Power/Water Utilities: $20
- All Others: $40
RSVP: To register, visit https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fourth-annual-open-farm-tickets-72327273823
For more information, contact Dennis Donohue at (831) 594-4883.
Start Growing Today
Farming has never been more challenging, which is why Western Growers invests in fully committed advocates – your advocates – in Sacramento, Phoenix, and Washington, D.C. Only Western Growers offers members so many business services, supported by more than 400 dedicated employees.