As this week marks National Fire Prevention Week, Western Growers Insurance Services urges all members to revisit their respective fire safety programs and promote fire prevention awareness among employees.
Employers are responsible for providing safe and healthy workplaces for their employees. Some activities to consider conducting during National Fire Prevention Week include:
- Inspect and test fire detection and/or suppression system(s)
- Keep exits, fire extinguishers and fire alarms clear from obstructions
- Provide annual training to employees on the proper use of fire extinguisher
- Review and update emergency evacuation plans
- Visually inspect fire extinguishers to ensure they are charged, easily accessible and clearly marked
In addition to bringing awareness to employees about fire safety at work, National Fire Prevention Week is a good opportunity to provide employees with reminders and tips about fire safety at home. Some tips for at-home fire safety include:
- Develop a fire escape plan
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on every level of the home and in every bedroom
- Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- Keep a fire extinguisher on every level of the home and in the kitchen and garage
Visit the National Ag Safety Database Fire Safety Resource Website for additional information on fire safety.
For support with fire resources and insurance protection, contact Ken Cooper, Director Risk Strategy for Western Growers Insurance Services, at KCooper@wgis.com. Western Growers Insurance Services is a full-service insurance brokerage offering a suite of insurance and tailored risk management solutions to agricultural and related industry members.
Start Growing Today
Farming has never been more challenging, which is why Western Growers invests in fully committed advocates – your advocates – in Sacramento, Phoenix, and Washington, D.C. Only Western Growers offers members so many business services, supported by more than 400 dedicated employees.