Founded in 1926, Western Growers represents local and regional family farmers growing fresh produce in Arizona, California, Colorado and New Mexico. Western Growers provides a lobbying voice in state and federal government, affordable health benefits, technology and innovation development, transportation solutions, legal and human resources guidance and more.
Behind the association are more than 400 employees who are dedicated to serving America’s food heroes; here is an inside look at two of Western Growers’ champions.
Administrative Clerk, Western Growers Assurance Trust
Since 2016, Kurt has been the “go-to” team member for Western Growers’ eligibility group. He plays a key role in resolving issues related to eligibility for health care benefits and health insurance coverage.
“I remember being brought up on the elevator to meet the rest of the team. They are a great bunch and it’s been a pleasure to work at WG with an awesome team,” said Kurt about his first WG memory.
- Life Mantra: “Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” – C.S. Lewis
- Biggest Accomplishment: Learning how to ride a motorcycle
- Proudest Moment: Getting married to my best friend. My wife makes me a better person
- Hobbies: reading, rough housing with my dog, listening to ‘80s music and playing video games
Senior Accounts Receivable Specialist, Western Growers
Wayland joined the Western Growers team in 1989 and over his 30 plus years, he has become a driving force within the company. Wayland serves as the resident expert on all things accounts receivable for Western Growers. He is responsible for generating bills and reports, reconciling payment applications and supporting accounting staff.
His favorite WG memory? Former WG President Tom Nassif used one of Wayland’s old jokes during a cake cutting celebration and credited Wayland as the brains behind the joke!
Learn more about Wayland’s favorites:
- Favorite Quote: “Why so serious?” (courtesy of The Dark Knight!)
- Favorite Hobby: Watching TV and movies
- Favorite Memory: Playing “which pair can make the most free-throws?” pre-game before a Defenders (G-league)/Lakers double-header at the then Staples Center
Editor’s Note: Kurt and Wayland were recently honored as recipients of the Employees’ Choice Award, a WG program where employees select and honor fellow team members for their exemplary work and remarkable outward mindset.
Join Western Growers
Western Growers members care deeply for the food they grow, the land they sustain, the people they employ, and the community in which they live.