Date: Oct 21, 2014

One of the many things I enjoy working on, here at Western Growers, is being able to assist our regular members with inquiries about good delivery at contract destination.  Recently, I received a phone call from a regular member sales associate who was seeking guidance about determining good arrival guidelines for organic cauliflower.  I first explained that the good delivery calculations for both conventional and organic vegetables, as well as all fruits are the same.  The USDA inspection on the organic cauliflower happen to reflect 4% decay with 5% tan to brown discoloration for a total checksum of 9%.  The pulp temperatures were 34 degrees and the temperature recording chart reflected a steady 34-36 degrees the entire trip to the east coast.  The transit time from California to the Hunts Point Market in the Bronx was 5 days. F.O.B. Good Delivery Guidelines



I would like to encourage you, to please send me your questions concerning any type of arrival issues pertaining to either the PACA or DRC or truck claims that you might have and I would be more than happy to respond to you or make it a subject for my blog.  All questions will be treated anonymously, so I encourage you to please submit any question you might have to TommyO@wga.com or call me at 949 885-2269.

Survey Results

I would first like to thank all those that participated in my survey concerning fresh fruits and vegetables regarding delivered sales.  As promised the results of this anonymous survey have been tabulated and I have provided the results for your review.  Again I would like to thank each and every one of you for participating allowing me to share the following information.

 

Question

Response

Percentage

Do you sell delivered?

 

 

 

Yes

91%

 

No

9%

If your answer to number 1 was yes, what percentages of your sales are delivered?

 

 

 

Less than 25%

73%

 

More than 25%, but less than 50%

18%

 

More than 50%

9%

In comparison to 2013 are your delivered sales more or less?

 

 

 

More

73%

 

Less

27%

What is driving your delivered sales?

*Respondents were allowed to select more than one answer for this question.*

 

 

 

Customer Demand

73%

 

Our Marketing Strategy

27%

 

Other

18%

Do your customers ever inquire about or ask for delivered quotes?

 

 

 

Yes

100%

 

No

0%

 

WG Staff Contact

Produce Price Index

Think farmers are making most of the money from your grocery bill? Think again. Use the Produce Price Index (PPI) to find out the difference between how much you spend on fruits and vegetables and how much actually goes back to the farmer.

Subscribe to Produce Insights

Subscribe to Produce Insights

Fill out the following form to get updates to the Produce Insights blog.