Western Growers and AgSafe will be hosting a series of two-day workshops in California to assist fresh produce companies in meeting training requirements under the FDA's Produce Safety Rule: Standards for the Growing, Harvesting, Packing, and Holding of Produce for Human Consumption. Workshops will be available in Imperial, Mecca and Oxnard.
The two-day workshop will kick off with a PSA Grower Training Course and conclude with an engaging course on how to implement the FDA's Produce Safety Rule. Participants can register to attend one of both days.
Day One - PSA Grower Training Course
8:00am - 5:00pm - ENGLISH
Who Should Attend?
Fruit and vegetable growers and others interested in learning about produce safety, the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Produce Safety Rule, Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs), and co-management of natural resources and food safety. The PSA Grower Training Course is one way to satisfy the FSMA Produce Safety Rule requirement outlined in § 112.22(c) that requires 'At least one supervisor or responsible party for your farm must have successfully completed food safety training at least equivalent to that received under standardized curriculum recognized as adequate by the Food and Drug Administration.
- Introduction to Produce Safety
- Worker Health, Hygiene, and Training
- Soil Amendments, Wildlife, Domesticated Animals, and Land Use
- Agricultural Water
- (Part I: Production Water; Part II: Post-harvest Water)
- Post-harvest Handling and Sanitation
- How to Develop a Farm Food Safety Plan
Participants who successfully complete Day One will be eligible to receive a certificate of completion from the Association of Food and Drug Officials (AFDO).
Day Two - How to Implement the FDA's Produce Safety Course
8:00am - 12:00pm - ENGLISH
1:00pm - 5:00pm – SPANISH
Who Should Attend?
Employees who share in the responsibility of executing your company's food safety program are strongly encouraged to attend this course. This course will provide an overview of the major provisions of the produce safety rule. It will also cover templates/other resources, as well as integrate group and individual activities to facilitate the implementation and understanding of these provisions. This half-day training is meant for those who have already attended this or other standard PSA class (Day 1) and are looking to enhance their understanding and obtain resources to implement the produce rule. (Discounted group rates are available for this class.)
This course will provide the following:
- Tools to identify key requirements of the FDA's Produce Safety Rule.
- Practical resources to facilitate the rule's implementation.
- A better understanding of compliance dates and exemptions.
- Resources to develop or update a food safety plan and robust training program.
- Day 1
AgSafe/Western Growers Members: $360 | Non-Members: $435
- Day 2
AgSafe/Western Growers Members: $175 | Non-Members: $205
Group Rate: $160 each participant (Day 2 Only)
- Day 1 & Day 2
AgSafe/Western Growers Members | $485 Non-Members: $585
- Imperial: November 14 - 15, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Click here to register
- Mecca: November 16 - 17, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Click here to register
- Oxnard: November 28 - 29, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Click here to register
For questions, contact Sonia Salas at (949) 885-2251.
Start Growing Today
Farming has never been more challenging, which is why Western Growers invests in fully committed advocates – your advocates – in Sacramento, Phoenix, and Washington, D.C. Only Western Growers offers members so many business services, supported by more than 400 dedicated employees.