The California Department of Water Resources’ initial notification period for Basin Boundary Modification Requests under the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA) opened on July 1, 2017. The notification period allows Groundwater Sustainability Agencies (GSAs) or local agencies to begin the required meetings and coordination to support modifications.
A tentative schedule for 2018 deadlines related to modification requests is as follows:
- January 1, 2018 – Submission Period opens
- During this three month window, GSAs and local agencies can submit the required information to support a Basin Boundary Modification in the BBMRS on the SGMA Portal: http://sgma.water.ca.gov/portal/#intro.
- March 31, 2018 – Submission Period closes and 30-day Public Comment Period opens
- All information to support a boundary modification should be submitted to the BBMRS
- April 30, 2018 – Public Comment Period closes
- DWR begins boundary modification requests and public comments
- Approximately July 2018 – Draft Basin Boundary Modifications released
- Approximately August 2018 – Final Basin Boundary Modifications released
Western Growers continues to encourage members to be an active participant in all phases of the program in their local areas.
For more, information on SGMA please contact Gail Delihant at (916) 446-1435.