The latest edition of Western Grower & Shipper Magazine, May/June 2021, is now available for viewing and download here: https://online.flippingbook.com/view/87761863/
This edition features many of the industry’s behind-the-scenes champions who are driving agricultural evolution. Below is a preview of the stories, columns and profiles featured in the May/June edition:
Loren Booth: Ag Leadership Program Alters Career Path
Booth Ranches continues to expand and grow, and the owner continues to try new things. The company now raises show horses of the reining horse variety, and Booth is working with university researchers on trying to use the byproduct of the horse operation to create a compost that will improve the soil for the citrus groves.
Shop Talk: The Behind-the-Scenes Champions Driving Ag Evolution
When thinking of successful companies, their logos, taglines, owners’ names and key products are the first to spring to mind. Often understated, however, are the hardworking individuals who quietly work backstage to innovate new products, cultivate relationships with customers and develop streamlined procedures to ensure that the business runs efficiently day in and day out.
Varietal Research: Still a Laborious Effort…Albeit on a Faster Track
Building that better variety is a time-consuming endeavor, but over the years seed breeders have developed techniques to target desirable traits and speed up the process.
Inside Western Growers: Pat Collins, Kenny Le, Nina Rangel
Whether it is securing healthcare benefits for agricultural businesses and their employees or advocating for growers and shippers in the produce industry, WG employees are fully committed to helping ensure the future viability of farmers across the West.
Meet You Future Volunteer Leaders: Colby Pereira and Rocky Hampton
Colby and Rocky are two of nine individuals selected to be in Class 6 of the Future Volunteer Leaders, a program that guides the next generation of leaders within Western Growers member companies interested in becoming more informed and effective advocates for the fresh produce industry.
- President’s Notes: Big Leagues for California Ballot Initiatives
- Trade Practices: Best Practices to Avoid Running Afoul of Walmart’s OTIF Policy
- Federal Advocacy: COVID-19 Wanes but Relief Efforts Continue
- Arizona Advocacy: Arizona Legislative Session Results in Wins for Ag Community
- WG Assurance Trust: Convenient Access to Health Care
- WG Insurance Services: The Next Generation of Employee Benefits is Here
- WG Financial Services: RSP Now Offers Alternatives to Traditional 401(k) Plans
- Ag & the Law: The Supreme Court Can Protect the Rights of California Farmers
- Science: 6 W’s of Groundbreaking Food Safety Data Sharing Project
- Tech: Accelerating Harvest Automation – Platforms, Systems Integration and Roadmaps
- What’s Trending: Leveraging Current Events, Holidays for Massive Wins