Last week, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) released a host of resources to assist the food and agriculture industry in navigating supply chain disruptions during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Below is a compilation of the resources:
- Report Supply Chain Problems/Request Assistance from the FDA: Food facilities and farms can report a closure or a reduction in operations and/or request assistance for a human food establishment regulated by the FDA. Read the full guidance for additional information. Click here to report a closure or request assistance.
- Food and Agriculture Sector Coordinating Council: The Council serves as the primary private industry-led policy coordination and planning entity to collaborate with the FDA, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the Food and Agriculture Government Coordinating Council, to address the entire range of critical infrastructure security and resilience activities and sector-specific issues. If your food firm/business is experiencing supply chain disruptions, you may contact the Council’s chairman, Clay Detlefsen, at [email protected].
- Temporary Policies: The FDA has issued temporary guidance to provide regulatory flexibility, where appropriate, to help minimize the impact of supply chain disruptions on product availability associated with the current COVID-19 pandemic. These temporary policies remain in effect. Details about each appear at the following links:
- Temporary Policy During the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Regarding the Qualified Exemption from the Standards for the Growing, Harvesting, Packing, and Holding of Produce for Human Consumption
- Returning Refrigerated Transport Vehicles and Refrigerated Storage Units to Food Uses After Using Them to Preserve Human Remains During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Temporary Policy Regarding Accredited Third-Party Certification Program Onsite Observation and Certificate Duration Requirements During the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency
- Temporary Policy Regarding Enforcement of 21 CFR Part 118 (the Egg Safety Rule) During the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency
- Temporary Policy Regarding Packaging and Labeling of Shell Eggs Sold by Retail Food Establishments During the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency
- Temporary Policy Regarding Preventive Controls and FSVP Food Supplier Verification Onsite Audit Requirements During the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency
Below are links to additional key government resources:
- Food Safety and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (FDA)
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (FDA)
- COVID-19 Vaccination & the Food and Agriculture Sector (FDA)
- OSHA’s Protecting Workers Guidance (OSHA)
- Vaccines for COVID-19 (CDC)
- Vaccinating Migrant/Migratory and Seasonal Food and Agriculture Workers (CDC)